Tuesday, December 17, 2019

History of Math - The Podcast


In my second semester of teaching history of mathematics I discovered that podcasts are not "just for old people" as my friends have led me to believe. Many of my students listen to podcasts regularly and that sparked an idea. During this past fall semester of 2019 the students did research on mathematicians (and scientists, and engineers, and astronomers, and ...) both from the book we use and from a list of mathematicians I sourced outside of the book. As the book is heavy on the men of mathematics and especially European men of mathematics, the list I made was heavy on women and other underrepresented groups of mathematicians.

The results were amazing! The students did a great job on the research, providing sources and hitting the highlights outlined by the rubric they were given. Four of my students from this semester ended up recording some episodes of the podcast with me. Currently the production is out of my hands and in the very capable ears of the tech team at UTEP Creative Studios. This coming new year I will be publishing the podcasts here and on several other sites as well. All research and resources will be available as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment